Social Media Statistics
- October 15, 2014
Social media is one of the most primary forms of communication in the age of modern technology. These platforms allow users to express their feelings, show their interests, ask for help, and connect with others over long distances. Around 74 percent of people in the United States are a member on at least one social media site, and this number is expected to increase each year.
While some sites appear to a broad number or to large groups, like Facebook, others are tailored to more specific needs, like dating social media sites sites that are dedicated specifically to crafters and DIYers.
Here are some quick facts and statistics about social media platforms and their users, including genders, ages, political views, and more:
- Men are more likely to use a social media site for dating purpose (like Tinder, for example).
- Women are more likely to use Pinterest for DIY projects, cooking, fashion, and more.
- Only about 33 percent of individuals who are on social media follow a brand with their account. This is bad news for brands that advertise solely on social media and depend only on customers and potential customers to see their posts.
About Adult Usage:
- In 2013, 71% of adults who were online used Facebook. This is in comparison to the 19 percent of adults who use Twitter, the 22 percent who use LinkedIn, and the 17 percent who use Instagram.
- Twitter users are 33 percent more likely to be liberal in their political views.
About Mobile Usage:
- About 67 percent of individuals who own a cell phone and are between the ages of 18 and 29 interact with social media on their phones. Half of the cell phone users in the next age range (ages 30 to 49) use social media on their phones.
- Social media is a rapidly growing means of communication. From just the beginning of 2005 until the end of 2006, social media usage among young adults jumped from 9 percent to 49 percent, due in part to the increasing popularity of Facebook and the expansion of users allowed to access it. Facebook remains at the top of social media usage charts in 2014.
About us and this blog
We are a digital marketing company with a focus on helping our customers achieve great results across several key areas.
We offer professional SEO services that help websites increase their organic search score drastically in order to compete for the highest rankings even when it comes to highly competitive keywords.