Graphic Design: Tricks of the Trade
- August 15, 2014
Graphic design is integral when it comes to ad campaigns, billboards, and any kind of visual media. Graphic designers are also responsible for the creation of attractive and enticing websites. With an increased number of businesses converting to e-commerce and focusing their attention on building an online presence, the need for competent graphic designers has risen.
Here are some of the top tips and tricks for graphic design, along with some unspoken “rules” of the industry that will help you know whether your designs are on the right track:
- Color schemes – Colors should always coordinate. Whether they are contrasting or complementing each other, they should be easy on the eyes.
- Font sizes – Font that are too small to read will distract a reader and fail to capture attention, while large fonts can be considered too “loud.” Finding the right balance is important to the appearance of a web page.
- Audience – A graphic designer should always know the audience. Different age ranges will appreciate different graphic design schemes, while men and women will each respond to certain themes differently.
- Image organization – Keeping the page looking clean and organized is significant for the audience. For example, images placed within the design should be placed methodically. Using borders is also a good idea to provide a clean break from the text.
- Simplification – While it can be tempting to use a variety of colors and symbols, too much variation can make it overwhelming for the readers. Minimizing confusion and strengthening simplicity can draw in readers and still provide a unique feel with the right balance.
- Inspiration and variety – Talented graphic designers can pull inspiration from nature, everyday life, and even other designers without simply copying a design that already exists and changing only minor elements.
Additionally, a helpful tip within the graphic design industry is to keep a constant log of designs that have worked in the past, designs that have fallen short, things that are inspiring, and design elements or schemes to try in the future. A detailed log can act as both a reference point and a great motivator, in addition to a sketchbook, journal, and portfolio.
Although every website’s design needs are different, an experienced and professional graphic designer can make all the difference and take your website to the next level.
About us and this blog
We are a digital marketing company with a focus on helping our customers achieve great results across several key areas.
We offer professional SEO services that help websites increase their organic search score drastically in order to compete for the highest rankings even when it comes to highly competitive keywords.